EXTENDED!!! BREAK LOOSE with the JANN / Shapeways 3D Modelling Challenge
We have EXTENDED the deadline! Now submit by June 15, 2015 to qualify!!
Model me THIS!
Are you a 3D modeller/animator who has always dreamed of bringing their creations to life? Is there some creature, character or invention you’ve always wanted to see manifest in the real world? Shapeways is joining with JANN to offer the mind-blowing opportunity for three lucky winners to see their creations come to “life” the real word.
If you are a 3D modeller with a great idea, or a 2D artist with a great idea, this is the opportunity for you. “On Shapeways, individuals can make, buy and sell their own products. By providing a platform for our community members to share ideas and gain access to cutting edge technology, we’re bringing personalized production to everyone, whether you’re already designing in 3D or are looking to find something just right. We 3D Print everything on-demand, which means that every order is customized and personalized.”
We challenge you to BRING YOUR “A” GAME! Seriously. This is a no-holds-barred, 3D modelling extravaganza where you are limited only by your creativity (and the printability of your model). Over the past few weeks, we have seen an increase in activity surrounding animation in Jamaica and we wanted to “up-the-bar” once more! 3D modelling and printing presents an opportunity for you to not only see your ideas transition from the digital to the physical, but also for you to test the commercial feasibility of getting into producing your item for resale.
With this in mind JANN and Shapeways challenges the Jamaican 3D artists to produce a model of… wait for it… A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G!
That’s right! We are giving you total creative freedom and asking you to go wild! Produce your model, check the Shapeways guidelines for printability and then follow the entry process. Feel free to ask us any questions about the procedure of entering your model, judging your model or even receiving your printed model if it is the winner. We are here and we want you to blow this out of the water!
In order to enter the competition you will have to follow these steps:
- Sign up with JANN (Jamaica Animation Nation Network) Jamaica’s official animation association at http://animationjamaica.com/join/ – ensure you choose to be added to the mailing list. Instructions on how to complete submissions will ONLY go to eligible members who have signed up for the mailing list. Already signed up but not sure you are on the mailing list? Contact us now and let us now.
- Sign up with Shapeways at http://www.shapeways.com . Once you are signed up, you will be able to use their 3D tools to aid in creating a 3D print-ready model.
- Watch your email, as JANN will publish the instructions about the competition EXCLUSIVELY to those on our mailing list. Once you receive the instructions, simply follow the steps and your entry will be ready for consideration.
Get ready to have your work ogled at by some of the best in the business! Our highly qualified judges from BOTH Shapeways and JANN will be focusing on the following three key things:
- Creativity: Is it unique, innovative and creative? Are you using your imagination in ways never thought possible before?
- Technique: Show off your awesome 3D modeling skills and design prowess. Do you have a really detailed model? Or is it simple yet still bold and effective?
- Printability: Does your model meet Shapeways guidelines for SWF (Strong White and Flexible) and is it 3D printable?
|1st PLACE||2nd PLACE||3rd PLACE|
- Model must not be larger than 4 inches in all dimensions and printable in White Strong and flexible material (i.e. you must adhere to print guidelines to make sure model is printable).
- Model must cost less than $100 USD
DISCLAIMER: Winners will be responsible for paying any customs duty once item arrives into country. JANN and Shapeways will not be responsible for covering any customs and import duties.
The Sponsor: Shapeways
A Dutch founded, New York based startup, Shapeways is quickly becoming one of the most widely known online 3D printing services. Additionally, by facilitating an online marketplace for 3D modelled and printed products from its wide variety of members, Shapeways has in many ways made its mark as the chosen service-provider for freelance and small to medium-scale 3D entrepreneurs.
Intimate, responsive, familial and visionary, Shapeways allows users to design and upload 3D printable files to be printed and distributed via its marketplace. The company has also been able to secure large licensing deals for brands such as My Little Pony, Transformers and others, allowing its modelling membership to respond to the desire of their consumers in having custom models from these brands created.
Shapeways’ tools and guidelines are so advanced that a user can have objects printed from a variety of materials (including precious metals), and even food-safe ceramics. As of June 20, 2012, Shapeways is reported to have printed and sold more than one million user-created objects.
To learn more about Shapeways, please visit their website at http://www.shapeways.com/
Just a little more help…
We want you to produce your very best work for this challenge. We are looking out for stunning pieces just as much as we are looking out for highly useful pieces. You are in charge now, show us what you can do. The Executive just wanted to share some last hints before you run off modelling:
Shapeways is your friend! They have TONS of resources to help you get started. As a jump-start, here are a few: (i) Realizing your Ideas: The Creative Process in 3D Printing; (b) Character Model Tutorials; (c) How to Prepare Your Model for Printing; (d) Low Cost Printing
…and when you’re done that for reading, visit one of these creatives and be inspired:
- Theo Jansen: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/theojansen;
- Ryan Kittleson: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rksculpture;
- Christian Brock: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/wulongti
Legal Mumbo Jumbo (aka Terms and Conditions)
- By entering this contest, you are representing that you agree to JANN Terms and Conditions, and that you own all copyrights for this 3D model or have written permission to upload and use it.
- Winners keep all IP as per JANN standard terms and conditions. Winners and winning entries may be required to take part in any publicity resulting from this competition.
- All entries will be documented by JANN and may be used for promotional purposes in their digital or physical form.
- No purchase is necessary. By entering this competition, entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to the conditions.
- By entering, users agree to share their name and email address with JANN.
- No cash or other alternative prizes available.
- The judges decision is final. In case of dispute, no correspondence will be entered into.
- Contest runs from 11:59 PM ET on April 13, 2015 and ends 11:59PM ET on June 15, 2015. The winner will be contacted by May 29, 2015.
- The prize draw is open only to members of JANN who are residents and/or citizens of Jamaica.